What Occupational Therapy is and what we do at CleverMe OT
Occupational Therapy (OT) is an allied health profession focused on improving the well-being and functional capacity of people in their every-day lives. We work on specific skills needed to perform activities relevant and necessary to individuals, as well as viewing the person holistically and taking environmental factors into consideration. We aim to minimalize environmental barriers and increase participation of individuals in meaningful tasks. This helps people to perform to their best ability at home, at school, at work, in sports, socially and in relationships.
At CleverMe OT we specialize in paediatric intervention, working with babies of a few months old, to primary school children. Usually, concerns are identified by teachers who may suggest OT intervention. However, parents may notice differences in the development of their babies at only a few months, and wish to investigate this with an OT. Areas we may treat include:
- Developmental delay:
- Delayed milestones such as holding head up, rolling, sitting, crawling, standing, talking.
- Delayed development of fine motor skills such as finger feeding, undressing/dressing, picking up/manipulating toys, scribbling/drawing/writing.
- Difficulties with everyday living activities:
- Sensory Processing difficulties:
- Over or under responsive to: touch, movement, pressure, sounds, lights/colours
- Very clumsy/uncoordinated
- Poor perceptual awareness (difficulty learning age appropriate concepts such as colours, numbers, shapes etc.)
- Poor manipulation of tools (crayon, spoon etc.)
- Very overactive/constantly moving or very lethargic
- Fussy eater, fussy about clothes textures on skin, dislikes messy play
- School related concerns (barriers to learning)
- Visual perceptual difficulties (literacy and numeracy)
- Visual-motor integration (handwriting, drawing, eye-hand coordination)
- Fine motor skills (colouring, cutting)
- Attention and concentration
- Behaviour (diligence, organization, time management, social skills, confidence, self-esteem)
We also provide functional capacity assessments for adults to assess capability to return to work after illness/disease/injury, and make recommendations about accomodations in the work place.
Conditions we may treat
OT is a very family-oriented intervention and at CleverMe OT we like to ensure parents are as empowered, educated and involved as possible in their child’s progress. Therefore we work with families and children with conditions such as:
- Developmental Delay
- School-based difficulties
- Learning Disability
- Autism and Aspergers
- Pervasive developmental disorder
- Cerebral Palsy
- Down’s Syndrome
- Sensory Integration Difficulties (Sensory Processing Disorder)
- ADD and ADHD
- Intellectual Impairment
- Behavioural Difficulties
We assess adults who may have suffered a work place injury, stroke, brain injury, mental illness or chronic condition.